Time through time, we people are becoming more familiar with ‘depression’ whether say it in accordance with the initial level or at extremes, we all have experienced up till now a little dose of depression.
If I am not saying wrong, in the present scenario, our lives has taken an unpredictable turn, transforming into more fast-paced lives with enormous amount of aspiration that we people are nowadays, trying to develop and enact for the same, and being not able to cope with the expectations which keep expecting from ourselves, maybe at any stage of our lives, it ends up serving upon us depression. Well, if I am discussing depression, it’s not necessarily be taking form, for the above-stated reason, it can be caused by any reason, though one of the major reason I’ve discussed. Depression is found common, amongst every 8 out of 10 men/women. But shockingly, the rate is getting at heights, when it comes to sufferers from depression mainly affecting teens and youngsters and the negative effects it bring can break a record in itself.
As feeling sad and low is another thing and being depressive take on completely another direction, and towards a lot more disturbance causing factors affecting the mental health on a major risk. Depression is basically stated as a mental health disorder, which highly affects into one’s day-to-day lives, including work, physical health, relationships causing one’s emotions out of control at certain times. Depression as per many health reports around the world has several types and forms, which can be triggered by many factors.
During this time period, when the person is going through his/her phase of depression can affect the way consciously, how that person thinks, feel, behave and carry out his/her task, literally the mental health goes through the ups and downs, which can also be regarded in medical language as peaks or valleys through every mental emotion depiction.
The same goes with “Bipolar Disorder” as I am about to discuss ‘Bipolar’ as one of the category or types of depression which carries itself through levels ranging from low to high, high to low, includes ranges of mental health and it can’t be easily make out while having this type of depression, as it can make behavioral change in person at any moment and could further initiate unfavorable circumstances as per time period of a depressive episode.
A person having bipolar disorder may begin to show symptoms which can go confusing for others but can cause dysfunctional for the sufferers, if not diagnosed or through inappropriate diagnosis. The stage of Bipolar Disorder describes itself on the two extreme ends, depicting the higher ends known as “Mania” and the other corner of the pole depicting the lower end as regular depression. Certainly, these have two poles having extreme corners, undoubtedly, known as Bipolar Disorder. This type of disorder enables a rapid shift in moods and behavior apart from normal mood swings which affects a person’s mental health enormously. Often it can be taken as a heredity problem showing its signs from teenage itself or beginning of adulthood lasting from weeks to months.
Basically, under Bipolar Disorder being a major health disorder, indulge in it two ends as namely,
Manic Episode – During this phase, the energy level of a person reaches its height, in which, he/she feels unlimited happiness, zeal, power.
Depressive Episode – It’s just the opposite, where a person feels hopeless, worthless and tired facing any situation.
Though I am talking about Bipolar Disorder, and many people who are in their initial stage of this, often make out their own assumptions, which takes a huge form in their mental space as ‘Myths’. I would like to clear some of the simple confusions as :
Once got into the trap of Bipolar Disorder, one can’t get his livelihood back.
This is not at all true, there are a lot of people with bipolar disorder living peacefully having a great life, it’s been completely understood that having this disorder makes the things worse but via support system, treatments, healthy lifestyle can help reduce the symptoms up to a limit.
Some people think that this type of disorder only affects the mental system majorly the “Mood”.
Bipolar could affect your memory, sense of judgment, the power of concentration, sleep, memory and a lot more on one’s self-confidence.
I want to make this point, clear if any more sort of confusion lies. There are phases of Bipolar Disorder with different frequency levels and along with it the extremeness which the sufferer experience during a particular phase. Let some understand some signs/symptoms during each phase, to get at least an insight of this type of mental disorder.
1. MANIA :
I have described a little about mania, in the above-given information, let’s get this more clear, mania simply refers to heightened level of energy, found in the person during this phase or I could simply say it as ‘Euphoric’, but when it slowly goes out of the control from the person having this can’t even know. Apart from being hyperactive, the sufferer can come across the following symptoms:
- Fall into an aggressive argument with anybody.
- Blaming others
- Reacting angrily when people don’t listen or follow up with that person.
2. HYPOMANIA :
This phase is as same as mania but less critical than that. During this phase, a person becomes more productive and overactive but smoothly carries out their daily activities, remaining in reality. Symptoms of Mania/Hypomania includes:
- Feeling highly active and over positive.
- Feeling of unrealistic abilities.
- Fast Speaking
- Less Concentration
- Hallucinations(extreme cases)
3. BIPOLAR DEPRESSION :
Initially, bipolar depression was compared with regular depression, though it’s not completely wrong, bipolar depression could worsen because of treatments taking, interfering itself with stronger doses of medication, causing unnecessary shifts in mood changes.
The symptoms are more near to regular depression like:
- Feeling of Hopelessness
- Losing energy
- Trouble Sleeping
- Feeling of unnecessary guilt
- Suicidal thoughts
- Weight gain
4. MIXED EPISODE :
This phase includes a combination of Mania/Hypomania along with depression.
The common symptoms include:
- Heavy feeling of Distression
- Irritative up to a limit
- Racing thoughts
The important thing here to be discussed is how about this phase and episodes lasts for how much time and even it is predictable or not. In some cases, the bipolar disorder sufferers develop a re-occurring episode often within a short span of time (within hours) known as the process of “Rapid Cycling” where mood swings last again within days and if not appropriately treated can go out of control.
“Cyclothymia” also known as a mild form of bipolar disorder carries itself with mood swings cyclically, but its signs are less severe with reference to mania episodes.
Main attention is to be given to series of actions or things that directly activate or stimulate bipolar disorder :
- Stressful events (whether good or bad)
- Substance Abuse like drugs or alcohol could start initiating mania.
- Some anti-depressant drugs along with routine caffeine or usage of another medication trigger for another depressive episode.
- Sleeping patterns
Before leading ahead with its treatments or prevention, I would like to lay emphasis from where to start curing it in every sense, things to be understood and paid attention towards :
- Since Bipolar Disorder is a critical situation, treatment would be hard on its way, so it’s better to get diagnosed with an experienced psychiatrist, who could help to counter each occurring turn in way of progress.
- This disorder requires treatment for a long period of time, as it could lead to the more deteriorating state, even if the condition is better, treatment has to be continued in order to avoid further episodes.
Easy and some preventive ways for Bipolar Disorder Treatment are as follows :
- Educate yourself on it, more information one has can help on the way to recovery.
- Try not to avoid medication, taking the full course being prescribed to control mood shifts during a phase.
- Keep yourself intact in a support system (your friends and family), to keep you encouraged on your journey through bipolar disorder.
- Taking a therapy as a preventive measure would be helpful to understand different events you are going through.
- At least try to be aware of every single situation that actually activates your mood to break out, so that you can cope on an early basis.
- Keeping a check on your stress levels which initiates change in your mood, handle it well, before it becomes out of control.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle, through the intake of foods like Strawberries, Chocolate(dark), Walnuts, Bananas, Oatmeal, etc, and importantly regular exercise to relax your mood.
These are some of the easy ways to prevent Bipolar Disorder apart from prescribed medications from the doctor. All power lies within ‘YOU’ to bring that lively person back again as you can’t easily give up on your health.
Stay Positive & Healthy!